Table of Contents Hide
They say bigger isn’t always better and that is entirely true about breasts. Women desire beautiful breasts but that doesn’t mean they have to be enormous. A perfect proportion is key to beautiful breasts. Most women have naturally perfect breasts that are proportionate to the rest of their bodies.
However, if someone has excessively large breasts, it can be problematic. Not only does it make women feel conscious about their appearance, but it can also cause health problems, too. Fortunately, the cosmetic industry has made significant advancements and now women can easily undergo breast reduction surgery.
While this surgical procedure is not new, many women still feel dubious about the procedure and recovery. In this article, we have shared a detailed account of breast reduction surgery and recovery period.
Breast Reduction Surgery
A cosmetic procedure that helps in reducing the size and weight of abnormally large and heavy breasts is known as breast reduction surgery. This surgical procedure helps to reduce the enormous size of the breasts and makes them more proportioned. Moreover, it creates a more aesthetic contour for breasts.
The large size and heavyweight of breasts can be reduced by removing excess:
- breast tissue
- sagging skin
- stretched skin
By doing this, a cosmetic surgeon can help you achieve small, light, and firm breasts.
What’s the need?
Some people and even some insurance companies consider breast reduction surgery as an aesthetic procedure. This may be a case for some women but not all. Some women experience pain, discomfort, and other health problems due to their abnormally large breasts.
Women usually suffer from at least one of the following problems because of large and heavy breasts:
- Back, neck, shoulder, and breast pain
- Shoulder grooving due to bra straps
- Redness and inflammation under breasts
- Problem finding a suitable bra to support their breasts
- Problem with dress sizes as their bust is larger than their other body parts
- Trouble doing heavy exercise and athletic sports
- Loss of confidence and being self-conscious all the time
Some of these problems may not seem like health issues but they are indirectly related to a woman’s mental health. For instance, due to heavy breasts, a woman may start feeling depressed and suicidal.
To counter the problems, breast reduction surgery can be performed. Sometimes, women don’t even consider that option as people keep telling them they do not have a health problem. So, consulting with an expert professional can help in making a decision.
It is a surgical procedure but it is not a very invasive one. Usually, the surgery is performed on an out-patient basis and the patient can go home once they gain consciousness.
The surgical procedure is performed under general or local anesthesia. After giving anesthesia, the surgeon makes incisions in the breasts. Every surgeon uses a different technique for making incisions. But, the most common technique is the anchor-shaped incision.
After making the incision, the surgeon will start removing excess breast tissue, fat, and skin. Once the excess is removed, he/she will reshape and close the remaining breast tissues and skin with dissolvable sutures.
Normally, the patients wake up after an hour or so of the surgery. At this point, the level of pain is managed with the help of medication. Most patients leave the hospital on the day of surgery. However, some patients stay overnight to avoid any mishaps.
The surgeon provides an instruction manual that has everything the patient needs to follow during and after the recovery period.
To have a smooth recovery after a breast reduction surgery, follow the instructions given below:
- The swelling will completely diminish in about 3 months. Before that, you will need to use medicines if it causes discomfort.
- During the 1st week, there should be no strenuous activities or heavy lifting.
- You will need at least 2 weeks off work. This duration can increase if your work is more strenuous.
- In the first 2 weeks, you will not be able to perform house chores or go shopping. You will also not be able to take care of kids and pets. So, make sure you have got any helper before undergoing the surgery.
- Driving will not be possible for at least 1 week after the procedure. It may take more than that before you can go back to driving normally.
- Try to wear comfortable and loose clothes. Elastic bras and sports bras will make breasts uncomfortable and cause pain.
- You will be able to start less strenuous activities like walking and light exercise, after 2-3 weeks.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
This surgery does not only alleviate physical symptoms but also provides cosmetic benefits. Some of these benefits are mentioned below:
- Firm and lifted breasts give a more youthful look.
- Finding the right bra becomes easier.
- You can wear your favorite dress without looking disproportionate.
- Swimsuits, bikinis, and form-fitting clothes will feel as well as look more attractive.
- The overall body contour becomes more balanced and stunning
- It will give your self-confidence a boost.
Breast reduction surgery is a big step but the results will be worth it. So, consult an expert professional and schedule an appointment.